The Cool Soil Initiative is a paddock to product partnership, working with grain growers through regional farming systems groups (FSGs) to test and validate management practices that can then mitigate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions on-farm, to support the ongoing sustainability, productivity, and profitability of farming enterprises.
- On-farm demonstration projects that validate the soil and GHG impacts/benefits from different practices
- Peer-to-peer learning to increase uptake on leading practices across the regions
- Effective, validated tool to measure GHG emissions from Australian cropping farmers that is connected into global grain production, commodity markets and food manufacturing.
Cool Soil Vision
Helping to future-proof the Aussie grains industry against a changing climate and evolving marketplace.
What are the benefits for Farmers?
The benefits include:
- Mitigating risk by proactively working to reduce GHG on farm, and improve the sustainability of farming practices
- Access to financial support for innovation and trials of new practices
- Data to support on-farm decision making – improve productivity and profitability
- Support and engagement from FSGs and soil scientists
- Access to research project findings to support practice
- Reduced on-farm GHG
- Use of Cool Farm Tool to measure and validate on-farm GHG emissions reductions